Lee Grady on the Last Decade
We didn’t know what to call it—was it the ’00s?—yet we’ve just passed through quite a decade. We had natural disasters (the 2004 Asian tsunami, Hurricane Katrina in 2005), financial meltdowns (bank failures and 10 percent unemployment) and global conflict (9/11 and the war on terror). It brought doom and gloom on one hand and technological breakthroughs on the other. What a ride it has been.How has God been working during this tumultuous season? Here’s my list of seven megatrends that marked these last 10 years:
1. Third-World Christianity kept growing.
2. The digital revolution opened new doors for evangelism.
3. The global economic crisis didn’t stop the church.
4. As militant Islam increased, so did a backlash.
5. Spiritual hunger grew more intense.
6. The charismatic movement experienced a painful but needed purging.
7. A “healthy church” movement emerged.